Curriculum Vision & Intent
At Sacred Heart, we design our curriculum to be knowledge rich, allowing pupils to develop the skills they need to be independent and effective learners. We encourage pupils to become active learners, taking ownership of their own progress. Our curriculum is designed to allow pupils to apply prior knowledge and skill, therefore developing schema and becoming effective learners. We are responsive to issues happening in the world, both locally and globally and through a variety of different teaching and learning strategies ensure that pupils garner experiences which will enrich their lives.
- Ensure the teachings of Christ run through the core of the whole curriculum.
- We are passionate about developing learners who show habits and attitudes of curiosity, confidence and independence,
- Our aim is to provide effective learning opportunities that contribute to the pupils achievement and to their physical, spiritual, social, moral and cultural development.,
- Allow for diverse, engaging extra-curricular opportunities through carefully planned visits and visitors designed to strengthen the connections children make with their learning.
- Promoting positive behaviour and a good understanding of personal safety and development.
- Encouraging children to think creatively and develop their meta-cognition skills (how do I learn? What motivates me to learn? What strategies can I use to learn better?
- Dig deeper into their learning, asking questions.
- Develop transferable skills that can be used throughout life.
Long Term Planning
You can view the long term plans for year groups below:
Forest School is an outdoor, free and stimulating learning experience. It allows all children to test themselves; build self-esteem and pride and develop new skills. Each Forest School session is tailored to meet the needs of individuals within that group and is continuously developed as the children grow in confidence, skills and understanding. The ethos of Forest Schools allows learners the time and space to develop skills, interests and understanding through practical, hands-on experiences.
At Sacred Heart, the use of Forest School learning is woven into the enhanced curriculum, to support and enrich the subjects we cover.
View Forest School Vision Statement